Axis 1 Research and innovationObjective 1b1 Strengthening the synergic and networking operation of R+i at a transnational level in the specific Sudoe sectors as from smart specialisation
- Agribusiness and timber
2. Instituto Politécnico de Viana do Castelo PT
3. Akinao FR
4. Universitat de Lleida ES
5. Universidad de Zaragoza ES
6. Universidade do Minho PT
7. Indulleida S.A. ES
8. Université de Perpignan Via Domitia FR
The REDVALUE proposal is based on the recycling of agro-food and forestry waste to create high added value products thanks to an international collaboration network between companies and R+D centres. This waste is currently not exploited and is eliminated on rubbish tips or in incinerators, which involves great expense and also has a serious environmental impact. The innovation of REDVALUE will be beneficial for companies in the agro-food and forestry sector as they will be able to start a new line of business, which will allow job creation and the improvement of the industrial fabric in agricultural areas that have been devastated by the crisis.
- La Rioja
REDVALUE deals with the management of waste from the agrifood industry. The project encourages the collaboration between specialized agents in the Sudoe’s area and creates new market opportunities for companies. For this, it uses extraction systems based on easily industrially possible techniques that make use of aqueous and alcoholic solvents and techniques that do not require high temperatures and that allow the preservation of active compounds. The project also proposes an encapsulation system for greater product stability.
Its results include:
- Obtaining encapsulated extracts of pine bark and plant residues that can be used by food industries as additives to improve the shelf life of products.
- The study of the revaluation of waste, such as pine bark, through conventional techniques with solvents of low environmental impact such as hydro-alcoholic mixtures. These products have antioxidant, antimicrobial and anticancer properties, guaranteeing consumers a lower presence of synthetic additives and improving the quality of their health.
- The creation of a collaboration network between the specialized agents of the Sudoe space.
- The publication of several articles in scientific journals, thus confirming the scientific validity of the methodology.